Sustainable tourism in Nouvelle Aquitaine
Nouvelle Aquitaine is a French region located in the south-west of the country.
Covering an area larger than Austria, Nouvelle Aquitaine is the largest French region and includes the departments of Charente, Charente-Maritime, Corrèze, Creuse, Dordogne, Gironde, Landes, Lot-et-Garonne, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, Deux-Sèvres, Vienne and Haute-Vienne.
Bordered by 720 km of coastline, the Nouvelle Aquitaine region is a savvy mix of regions bordering the Atlantic ocean, large cities such as Bordeaux, Poitiers or Angoulême, and rural departments where agriculture is the main activity.
If you are looking for an eco-friendly hotel, a locavore restaurant or a sustainable tourism activity that suits your green lifestyle, Holiable helps you make your choice thanks to a selection of places committed to sustainable tourism in Nouvelle Aquitaine.
Tips to travel sustainably in Nouvelle Aquitaine
Nouvelle Aquitaine is among the French regions that are pioneers in the development of sustainable tourism.
In fact, it is in this region that the greatest number of accommodations have been certified by the European ecolabel.
The Nouvelle Aquitaine region, crossed by the Velodysée cycling path, is an ideal destination for those who want to travel through regions where nature is predominent and where the cultural heritage is rich.
Hiking in the forests of the green Périgord, surfing on the beaches of Les Landes, taking a city break in Bordeaux or discovering the vineyards and oyster farming, there is no shortage of ideas for an eco-frinedly holiday in Nouvelle Aquitaine.
Our tips to find a green place to stay in Nouvelle Aquitaine
Eco hotels, glamping in unusual cabins, or self-catering cottages, environnementally friendly accommodation in Nouvelle Aquitaine comes in all styles.
- booking with the hosting company is always better.
- Learn about the green initiatives put in place by your host and respect them during your stay.
- Check the reviews of responsible travelers who have already stayed there on Holiable.
- Rest, and practice slow tourism, it’s an ideal region for that.
Eco-friendly places to eat in Nouvelle Aquitaine
The Nouvelle Aquitaineregion is a pleasure for the taste buds
Nouvelle Aquitaine is one of the largest agricultural regions in France, both in terms of size and number of farms.
Animal farming plays an important role, as well as fishing and ostreiculture. The oysters are tasted directly at the producers in the Bay of Arcachon.
The region is also reknown for its fruits, such as the Charente melon, which you will enjoy in summer, strawberries from Limousin or, walnuts from the Périgord and so many others.
Not to mention, the important French wine estate, to be discovered in the form of visits of castles. It’s an oenotourism paradise on it’s own (remember drinking and driving don’t go together though).
- Like many French regions the gastronomy here is part of the cultural heritage.
- Take advantage of the many town and village markets to purchase directly from the producers.
- The offer of fast good (fast but healthy) restaurants as well as the offer of vegetarian cuisine is very developed, especially in the big cities.
Tips and activity ideas for sustainable travellers
- In big cities, forget the car and abuse public transport or shared bike systems. Some regions are easily reached by high speed or regional trains
- .Renownn for its beaches, Nouvelle Aquitaine also has many national parks, emblematic forests and classified historical villages, a real invitation to slow tourism.
- Like everywhere else in Nouvelle Aquitaine, get off the beaten track, visit hidden places, the discoveries will be even more beautiful.