Eco-Lodges – They’re not only for ecotourists
The term Eco Lodge was defined by International Ecolodge Guidelines in 1995. General thinking would be that an Eco-lodge is reserved for ecotourism aficionados, and that they are always located in the middle of the jungle. Maybe not, let’s find out
Holiable was made to help sustainable travellers find eco-friendly accommodation around the world.
What is an eco-lodge?
The definition of an eco-lodge can be summarized in just a few words : It is an accommodation that relies on the environment to operate.
The official definition of an eco-lodge as defined by the IEG guidelines is the following:
A tourism accommodation that meets the following criterias*
- Conserves the surrounding nature both natural and cultural
- Has minimal impact on the natural surrounding during constructions
- Endeavors to work together with the local communits
- Offers programs to educated its employees and tourists about the surrounding cultural and natural environments
- Uses alternative, sustainables means of water acquisition and reduces water consumptions
- Provides a careful handling of waste
- Uses renewable energy sources and passive design to be energy efficient
- Contributes to the local community development throught education programs and researchs
- Fits into its context through careful attention to form, landscaping and color & uses localized architecture
* Adapted from Mehta 1999, International Ecodolge Guidelines
So would you only find them in the middle of the Jungle ?
The first eco-lodges that were built were built in famous ecotourism destinations like Costa Rica. Other eco lodges were commonly in the middle of wildlife reserves, like in Africa for example. Nowadays, the term is more spread out, and ecolodges can be found in the country side or even in urban environment.
The good news is that eco-lodges are not reserved to high-end travellers and luxury travel budgets.
Ecolodges can be extremely luxurious or very basic. Either suiting eco-chic travellers or backpackers preferring homestays.
Don’t you find these definitions pretty much similar to what all eco-friendly accommodations should be like? Rediscover our article on what is a sustainable lodging here
The ecolodges you will find on Holiable will state their eco-friendly features and how the eco-lodge contributes to the local development. That’s what we call the green features.