Wolwedans DunesSelf-sufficient lodge amongst the dunes
- Farm to table
- Local staff
- No plastic bottles
- Renewable energy
- Smart Water Management
- Towel reuse
- Vegetarian friendly
- Veggie garden
- Zero waste approach
Holiable’s Review of Wolwedans Dunes
Located in the oldest desert on the planet, in the NamibRand Nature Reserve, Wolwedans Dunes is a lodge accessible by road or air. It is about 500 km from Windhoek and 60 km south of Sossusvlei. The hotel offers two options to get to the lodge:
- Rent a car at Windhoek Airport. This is the cheapest and most pleasant option to enjoy the incredible scenery and endless views along the way.
- Fly to the lodge which has an airstrip. Option obviously very expensive and not very environmentally friendly.
We would recommend the first solution because the road to Wolwedans is unique.
A unique place guided by strong values
A little historical point to start with. In the 1980s, numerous droughts occurred in the NamibRand Desert, threatening its ecosystem. If today NamibRand is one of the largest nature reserves in Africa, it is thanks to the work of one man, Albi Bruckner. He has managed, through the acquisition of several farms in the region, to preserve the biodiversity of this magnificent place.
The Wolwedans complex is part of this group of private farms, all of which have been rehabilitated and returned to nature.
The planet is at the heart of the lodge's philosophy as its aim is to ensure the financial viability of the NamibRand Nature Reserve while guaranteeing its conservation for future generations.
The Lodge has 4 different accommodation sites scattered throughout the nature reserve:
- Dunes Lodge (18 beds)
- Wolwedans Dune Camp (12 beds)
- Private Camp (6 beds)
- Boulders Safari Camp (10 beds)
We were lucky enough to stay two nights at the Dunes Lodge, which is a breathtaking place, set in a unique landscape of red dunes and mountains. Other accommodation options are also exceptional
The Wolwedans complex is self-sufficient, requires no outside help, and the various sites are supplied from a single location, the base camp for all operations, Wolwedans Village, where all the complex staff live.
Numerous activities are available to guests, such as a nature drive to meet the animals of the reserve, horseback riding in the dunes or a walking safari.
An ecological and complete offer
Wolwedans Dunes offers its customers a rare ecological experience. At Wolwedans Village, all employees are responsible for :
- Ensuring the management of the underground water system, which then supplies the necessary water to all Wolwedans facilities.
- Grow fresh produce in the organic garden and prepare all food distributed to lodge guests.
- Collect, store and recycle waste to give it a new life.
- Provide all lodge sites with clean, sustainable energy through dedicated solar panel land.
- To take care of the maintenance and works of the whole Lodge.
- To make furniture for the Lodge from recovered materials.
Wolwedans Dunes employs underprivileged Namibian youth from the surrounding villages to learn the trades of mechanic, carpenter and electrician.
Wolwedans Dunes is a set of splendid sites located in the heart of one of the most beautiful nature reserves in the world.
If you like unusual experiences, away from the tourist attractions, this hotel is the ideal place.
It is also a very good spot to observe a wide variety of animals. There are oryx, zebras, springboks, cheetahs and many more.
The complex is an example of environmental preservation.
Recommended for: nature lovers, animal lovers, locavore cuisine, solar energy, self-sufficiency of the place (locavore cuisine, solar energy, water management), isolated and quiet place
Review by our ambassadors Les ConsommacteursHoliable Review Based on our visit in: February 2020